Thursday, August 03, 2006

Question of the Day....



To Ink or Not to Ink…That is the Question!

So for years I have wanted to build up the courage to get a tattoo. I had many ideas that I thought were creative at the time and then two months later I thought…why, what purpose is the tattoo, do I want THAT on me forever? And each time the answers were always they same that I didn’t know why, there was no purpose or meaning and HELZ NO I don’t want that particular design in question on me for the rest of my life!!!

However, I continued my quest to find a tattoo that represented what I was looking for…a way to honor those who have passed and a way to inspire myself when I look at it in the mirror. Then about 6 months ago it came to me! I decided on getting a Phoenix tattooed on me! It was PERFECT!! As explained in a post by one of our fellow friend bloggers, when the phoenix dies it bursts into flames and turns to ash. From that ash a new Phoenix will rise. There are so many levels of symbolism behind this that I was very intrigued! You can take the religious turn about rising from the dead to live again, there is the representation of the ashes – Christ, or you can go into a simpler meaning that we all go through ups and downs in life…but it is about rising and starting a new. I found this to be very inspirational on many levels…so I began my research and am still doing it! I am set on overcoming my EXTREME fear of needles to get a tattoo sometime after I get married. I feel in my life this is the perfect time to get this particular tattoo because it represents where I am in my life on so many levels. And, to overcome my HUGE fear, I hope, it will allow me to overcome other obstacles in life I may be afraid to take! I am hoping that I can follow through, because I really do want this SO bad!!

So, do you have a tattoo or want a tattoo…if so what and why? Do you like them, hate them, could care less? Tell me, to ink or not to ink?

P.S. I am going for the prettier phoenix..like in the pic above :-D

4 comments:

  1. 1. I do not have a tattoo.
    2. I like tattoos on hot men, like Ami James from Miami Ink or Johnny Depp. I also like tattoos on African-Americans. (I think that black tats looks super cool on their dark skin.)
    3. I don't care for tattoos in visible places: face, neck (hello Project Runway man), hand, forearm, etc.

    There's that part of me that always says, "if you're gonna do it - put it somewhere discreet. You need a job.And, make sure you love it. That it's not just a fad."

    Case in point: Pamela Anderson and her ridiculous barbed wire arm band thing. Barf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a tattoo. On the outside of my left heel. I've had it for almost 8 years. I'm still happy with it. It's just a quarter sized planet with my zodiac (taurus) symbol in it.

    I often think about getting another one. I want a turtle very badly - just need to find one that isn't so cartoon-y. Ryan and I have also thought about getting ring tattoos under our wedding bands.

    I'm a fan, visible or not, if they are neatly done. I hate the ones that look sloppy, unfinished. I also HATE cartoon characters. yuck. I'm particularly fond of just black/gray ones with lots of shading.

    So, I say go for it. You'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of your tat Jenn... I'm a big fan of tattoos when they have a deeper meaning to the inked person.

    I would definitely entertain the notion of getting one if I ever thought of something unique and meaningful.

    Most people I know with tattoos still love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. agreed with all the comments above. i too have a tattoo - on my lower back. i'm always afraid of what it will look like when I'm old and wrinkly, but i like it now. i got it because it had a lot of meaning to me, and because of the timing...i won't got into all of it, but as long as it's something that means a lot to you then you will like it forever.

    ReplyDelete