-Chicken breast (grilled, baked, or breaded*)
-Fresh basil (chopped)
-Small onion (diced)
-2 containers of cherry tomatoes halved (I actually use more but we really love tomatoes in this house.)
-Fresh mozzarella cheese (thin to medium sliced). If you can’t find fresh shredded mozzarella cheese is ok, but if you can get fresh use that!
*Now you can grill the chicken, bake it, or bread/fry it (to bread and fry the chicken I suggest pounding out the chicken a bit so it cooks all the way through and the outside doesn’t get burnt but stays golden brown. Then for the breading - place pounded out chicken (or chicken cutlets) in flour, then egg wash, then bread crumbs and fry up in a skillet with a little vegetable oil). I have tried both breaded and grilled and both are wonderful.
- Grill/bake/fry some chicken breasts. (Your preference.)
Pounded out chicken
- While the chicken is cooking........In a skillet with a little olive oil and over medium heat cook up a small or half a medium onion diced with some garlic.
- After a couple minutes (just enough time to let the onions start to soften) add the halved cherry tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Let them cook until the tomatoes start to fall apart and are soft and the onions are soft and cooked.
- Remove from the heat. Add as much chopped fresh basil as you want and let heat through.
- When the chicken is done cooking place chicken on a baking sheet or oven safe container and add the tomato and basil mixture on top of the chicken breasts.
- Add slices of fresh mozzarella over the tomato mixture. You can also add Parmesan cheese if you like. Sometimes we do sometimes we don't. Heat in the oven/broiler or toaster oven just to let the cheese melt a bit. (You are not really cooking, just melting)
- Serve with a salad, veggie, pasta or whatever sounds good!
I don’t measure…so I am not sure about the quantities but you can adjust as you go and make how you prefer :)