Thursday, August 17, 2006

Car tip!



(ok, i know...but this is the best picture I could find)

So I wanted to pass on a friendly tip I use with my car! T. (the great auto man he is) told me about this some time ago and I think it really works!

So here is the tip: T. suggests that maybe once a week or every couple weeks it is important to pull up and release your parking brake a few times in a row while your car is in park or pull up your parking brake in the evening before you go in for the night... (just remember to put it back down in the morning!) Basically, what you are doing is resetting the brakes so that they will work evenly and last longer!

Reason: This is to help avoid rear brake problems. We use our front brakes more than rear (in most cars) and because of that the rear brakes don't get used as much and this can cause problems. The calipers can freeze or lock up because they are not being used and thus all your stopping is on the front brakes and you will have more of a chance of having rear brake problems sooner! Don't want to have to replace your brakes sooner than you need too!!!

For Whom is this for?: Well just about anybody who has rear calipers... For those of us who don't speak automotive fluentley I believe this is most cars! T. said this is also very good for us with automatics b/c normally people with manuals use their parking brakes on a regular basis!

Just wanted to pass on this friendly tip! If I get more tips I will let you know!

2 comments:

  1. I have been told this before - about 7 years ago - and now I do this at least once a week.

    I had my old honda (loved it) and had to replace both of the rear rotors. The guy at the car place gave me this handy tid-bit of info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my honda as well!!! Yes T. told me this is the best thing to do and if I haven't done it for awhile I notice a difference! Strange!

    ReplyDelete