Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Please Be Prepared!




So my mom just told me about a very sad and tragic accident that happened in our home town. A 16 year old girl and her 80+ year old grandmother drowned in a car after a car accident this weekend in the river. My mom told me that people were trying to help them but couldn’t get to them and they could see the two pounding on the window but couldn’t get out. What a horrible horrible accident. It only takes a few minutes for a car to be completely submerged under water and unfortunately these two people didn’t make it.

The reason I am telling you this is because my mom told me to go get one of those lifehammers and keep it in my car. A lifehammer is a tool that you could keep in your glove box that has a hammer on one end that will easily break a window, a knife to cut a stuck seat belt and a little flashlight to help you see. I am going tonight and getting one for each car!

I use to think I had everything. My husband works at an auto parts store and always put a lot of “emergency” car items in my trunk. But as much as those items could help me if I am stranded or get in an accident and need first aid none of them will save my life like this one tool will. We all need to be prepared for the worst, so please (if you don’t have one already) go get one. It is less than $20 and it may save your life or someone else’s!

And incase you do not have a car emergency kit I highly suggest picking up one of those too. You can buy one that already contains everything you need. In case you want to be extra prepared here are some items suggested in a car kit. (*these ones are most important)

Car Emergency Kit:
Lifehammer*** (in glove box)
Jumper Cables*
Road Flares*
Quarts of Oil
Antifreeze
Washer Fluid
First Aid Kit*
Blanket (or in kits they have the folded up solar blankets that take up NO space at all)*
Extra Fuses
Flashlight w/ extra batteries*
Small case of tools*
Tire pressure gage & pump
Rags/paper towels*
Duct Tape*
Pocket Knife*
Pen & Paper*
Wet naps
Matches in water proof container
Portable radio

If you travel with kids and pets regularly:
Formula/diapers
Pet food
Games
Extra clothes
Snacks

Slightly Unusual Items:
Whistle
Beef Jerky & Granola Bars (they last a long time)
Bottled Water
Pads & tampons (Not for what you think. Pads actually can be used to stop bleeding to an injury and tampons can be used for bloody noses or slightly larger wounds. Seriously, they actually had them in their first aid kits in my athletic training classes!!!)
Maps
Survival book

3 comments:

  1. Good tips! My car has maybe two or three of those! Yikes!

    Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lifehammer is a step in the right direction. Many vehicles have several rows of seats. What if every vehicle had multiple devices to break the glass throughout, and what if they were built in? Check out www.escapetip.com and be sure to read the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS is why I love you, Mrs. H.

    ReplyDelete