Friday, September 22, 2006

Skinny is out!

So earlier this week I saw on the news that super skinny is out – well at least in Madrid. Apparently the Madrid fashion industry is banning super skinny models to be on the catwalk. What is super skinny, 5’9”, under 122 pounds and a certain BMI. Now let’s think about this, 5’9” and 122 pounds is STILL skinny but I am really glad to see that they are starting to pay attention to the modeling world, the models health and most importantly the health of the kids that they maybe influencing! I think this is a step in the right direction! I also like that the focus is on health. There are women out there who are just naturally skinny but what I don’t like seeing in magazines are the Nicole Ritchie’s and the Kate Bosworth’s who just look so sick!

I personally think fashion looks better on models who actually have boobs, hips and a butt. Look at Heidi Klum – she is beautiful! Not a super super thin model, she has curves and is fit and healthy! THAT is what we need to see more of! I doubt the US will ever put restrictions like this on modeling, who knows! But whether or not actual restrictions like that in Madrid are enforced I think the modeling world needs to focus on health. Women are beautiful in their many shapes and sizes and I know in this industry a “plus” size girl doesn’t “sell” clothes as easily as a skinny model (whatever) but I like to see steps being made to realize that there is a problem out there and our kids are the ones who are also affected. Yay Madrid!!
(Now if we can just get this passed in Hollywood!!)


Click here for an article on people here for MSN
Click here for a poll on too thin stars

1 comment:

  1. Totally awesome. I sure hope the U.S. follows suit. There is no reason models have to be so incredibly skinny. The most beautiful ones are the ones that look like they are healthy and enjoying life.

    By the way, what do you think of the twins on ANTM?

    ReplyDelete