Friday, September 22, 2006

Maiden Name VS Married Name

So here it is – some questions with my name change:

How long do I wait before I start using my new married name at work? My email hasn’t changed yet, but I did change my signature on my email to read my new name. I haven’t changed my work voicemail and when people call me I still refer to myself as my maiden name. I have referred to myself in meetings with my new name. Do I wait to all the HR papers are finalized or do I start now….I don’t know what to do? How do I let people know I am the same person? I have been here for over 2 ½ years so I am unsure of making the transition to my new name! Also, I plan events and a majority of my contacts I only talk to on a yearly basis, should I send emails out to them letting them know of the change? And how about this – how long can I continue to use my maiden name before it just seems weird?

Any suggestions would be a great help!!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:15 AM

    For the first six months or so, all of my paperwork/whatever at work had both of my last names on it...like I was hyphenating. (sorry if that's spelled wrong?)

    Then after I thought it was fine, I dropped the maiden. I actually had to wait until all of the insurance companies that I am a provider for switched before I could officially...so that took some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:24 PM

    I worked at my job for about 3 years when I got married. When I returned from my honeymoon, I began using my 'new' name and loved it. My secretary told everyone calling for me that I had gotten married and what my new name was. I got a new Social Security Card & Drivers License right away. About 4 or 5 weeks later I was bummed. I missed my old last name. Then I received my wedding video and photos and all was good again!

    ReplyDelete