Tuesday, February 10, 2009

In Memory......

I found out last night that my Aunt Halsene passed away. I think she is technically my Great Great Aunt, but we only know her as our Spunky Aunt Halsene. She was 102 years old, I believe. She has not been doing well over the last 5 years or so and I am happy that she is finally at peace. It is really hard seeing your family members who were once so active and spunky become easily confused and unaware of what was going on, very weak and stuck in a nursing home. Honestly, that is no way for a person to have to live, especially someone who you love and care about SO much. It is sad that she will physically no longer be with us, but it is a blessing that she can finally be at rest and suffering no more.


In honor of her, here are just a few of my favorite memories about our Aunt Halsene:

-She had this jar of buttons she collected and when my cousins & I would go over we would just play with the buttons in the jar forever! We would string them up on thread or stack them up.
-I am named after her mother!
-She would read these romance novels ALL the time!
-She made fantastic food! Seriously, it was great! My mom actually passed down her “secret” piecrust recipe to me a year or so ago.
-We use to play upstairs in her house because it had a cool layout and would run around her basement for hours. I know she loved having us over there just playing and we loved to go over.
-I actually have her husband’s record player. (which reminds me of both of them)
-She loved to garden and was always VERY active.
-Said whatever she thought. She was a hoot!
-She was just a kind and giving person.
-My cousins and I would hangout there a couple days after school and before we had track practice. Halsene and Grandma would have pop for us and make sandwiches for us. I am SO glad that I had the opportunity to spend that time with her.
-Just talking to her. Someone who has lived as long as she had and who has seen as much as she had is just an absolute delight to talk to.

I have SO many more memories, and I feel honored that I actually got to be around Halsene and I appreciate all my time with her.



I will always love you
xo
Jenn

3 comments:

  1. (This is a lovely post. I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt's passing. Hug.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like she lived a long and fulfilling life, providing you with lots of great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i too am sorry to hear about your aunt passing away. i hope that you can always cherish these memories of her.

    ReplyDelete