Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A Message to the Media

Dear Media,


I have to say that I am continuously 100% disgusted by you and how you act when there is a major tragedy. In my opinion you should be providing us with the most current information. You should be non-basis, get the facts and report what you find out. What you should NOT DO is try to “sell” your station to the masses by coming up with taglines about the tragedy in question or use words like slaughter, carnage, blood bath, or walking wounded to describe what happened. This is NOT a movie or a way to get ratings …..this is real life! That should NOT be how we are referring to the people who died or injured in this extremely tragic attack. A little respect should be offered.

I am not a big fan of many of the well known media outlets in general – I think they think they are superstars and can say whatever they want. If I wanted to listen to that I would go to talk radio….not my news. I know maybe I sound harsh, but it is how I feel. I believe we don’t need to exaggerate what happened in a way to “make news”. People were killed and people there and all over are mourning this sad attack.

We need answers not opinions, updates not movie trailers, provide support and help where needed not blame, and influence other colleges & businesses to re-evaluate their plans to help protect & prevent incidents like this from happening again at this level. I know this doesn’t happen a lot but it happens enough that in today’s society we should be prepared for anything!

I would also appreciate your apology to all families and friends who had to listen to you refer to the individuals at this school as carnage.

Jenn



As a side note….I watched the news for only 20 minutes while they reported on this incident as that is all I could take. They used slaughter - 3 times, carnage - 6, blood bath – 2, walking wounded – 4 (not nearly as bad as the others, but still it is how they referred to these individuals).

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. It's sensationalism at it's worst. I blame the 24 hour news format for the way things have changed in tv news. It's getting out of hand.

    ReplyDelete