Friday, April 04, 2008

Let Me Ponder This While I Eat A Brownie.

So a couple people I work with have done some very low calorie diets recently and have had some really good success with it. The one lost 30 pounds in 26 days on her particular diet. I was interested in learning more so she gave me some stuff to read. It is called the hCG Diet. You take hCG drops while you have a strict, 500 calorie a day diet where they average 1 to 2 pounds of weight loss per day. Yes, hCG – the same hormone in women that detects pregnancy.

Click here for more info about the diet.

The hCG Diet Overview: You take the hCG drops plus eat the menu below. It is a 26 day diet then followed by 3 weeks of slowly incorporating food back into your daily life.

Breakfast:
Tea or coffee in any quantity without sugar. Only one tablespoonful of milk allowed in 24 hours.

Lunch:
1. 100 grams (weighed raw) of veal, beef, chicken breast, fresh white fish, lobster, crab, or shrimp
2. One type of vegetable only to be chosen from the following: spinach, chard, chicory, beet-greens, green salad, tomatoes, celery, fennel, onions, red radishes, cucumbers, asparagus, cabbage.
3. One breadstick (grissino) or one Melba toast.
4. An apple, orange, or a handful of strawberries or one-half grapefruit.

Dinner :

The same four choices as lunch

I have recently purchased a treadmill and I am trying the old fashion “eat healthier and exercise” program. This is how I lost a lot of weight before…..but I would love to loose a good amount of weight in a short period of time, however having tried many fad type diets in the past I just don’t think they are for me. I enjoy cooking and eating good food. Not to mention, these fad diets where a lot easier when I was single or not living with Terry.


So I am sure many others have tried diets but what do you do (have you done) to loose weight? What diets have you tried? What worked/didn’t work? Would you try something like this diet above?

5 comments:

  1. OK..that hcG diet is waaayyyyy too much measuring/thinking to deal with. no way could i do it.

    i have yet to find something that really works. a friend lost 40 pounds on Weight Watchers and then gained it all back. i tried WW before i got married, and after, and quit when a "consultant" said to me one day at weigh in "Well, at least you maintained your weight from last week. Maybe try losing for next week." Yeah, that was it for me.

    I am going to try walking and eating right -- I'd like to lose about 30 lbs this year. [the same 30 that i gained from having 2 kids].

    ...and WK -- we can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, this seems pretty extreme. And I'm leary of the hormone injection thing. There's even more rules that come along with that part of it.

    Stick with your idea - it sounds the most logical.

    And tlc is right, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never, ever try a diet like this. I can't believe that for average overweight people (the extremely obese aside) that 500 calories a day is safe. In general, I don't believe that fad diets are ever a good idea. I firmly believe that if you lose more than 1-2 pounds a week, you'll just gain it back. It took awhile to gain weight, I figure it'll take awhile to lose it.

    When I moved to college, I lost about 20 pounds just by walking to campus (and the bars).

    Two years ago, I lost 20 pounds by walking everyday and not drinking pop or eating chocolate everyday. (I gained it back when I try to reintroduce sweets and pop.)

    I really believe in staying away from the sweets and getting a little more exercise. (Now if I could just do that.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried this mostly because I am far too lazy to do anything about my size, but this is coming from my nutrition professor, and he hasn't let me down before.

    He said that people usually try to do everything at once to lose weight. Don't. He said first, start off just exercising more. Don't change your eating habits. When you begin to plateau with your weight, then continue exercising but then also incorporate healthier eating habits. Then when you plateau again, start doing weight training. This way, you are less likely to get frustrated when you can't lose any more weight, and you're taking weight off slowly, so you'll keep it off. Each time something new is incorporated, you will burn off more weight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You lost me at 500 calories a day. I would never make it!

    ReplyDelete