Saturday, March 31, 2007

What Did You Say???



I would just like to say this week I had a moment of feeling old and out of date with the younger generation. I was helping out one of the students for our Relay for Life. We were exchanging emails for about a week and during that time I think I really only understood 70% of what he wrote!

He used abbreviations for words I had NO idea what they meant. I actually had to call M. to see if she had an idea of what one of the "abbreviations" meant! It wasn't even an abbreviation - just like two letters that was suppose to mean something!!!

I feel old. Not just b/c I don't understand WHAT the kids are saying but b/c I also caught myself saying to my husband later that evening "These kids and their text/instant messaging. I don't get it - they confuse me! an "lol" or "r u" are understandable abbreviations - but all this other stuff....I can't keep up with it! Do these kids even know how to spell a complete word????" YES, I KNOW!! I sounded like an old fart *OF!!! It must have been a moment of weakness or something. :(

However, in all honesty I am starting to feel more of a gap *btw my generation and the ones below me. Even with my 19 year old sister (though we are closer then ever) I feel like I don't always understand her and her friends and get easily annoyed by what they say and do. I am moving closer and closer to understanding my parents generation and more confused by *PPL younger than me. I feel the shift coming and me saying - I am not as young as I use to *b!

So b/c I feel old I decided to list A FEW (seriously...there were 5 pages) of Chat, E-Mail, Web, and chat room slang and acronyms.

b4 - Before
BBL - Be Back Later
BBS - Be Back Soon
BCNU - I'll Be Seeing You.
BFN - Bye For Now
BMA - Bite My Ass
BRB - Be Right Back
BTW - By The Way
btw - BeTWeen you and me ...
CU - See You - also posted as cya
CUL8R - See You Later
FOCL - Falling Off Chair - Laughing
FUBAR - "Fouled" Up Beyond All Repair / Recognition (This is old school!!!)
FYI - For Your Information
H&K - Hugs and Kisses
HAGD - Have A Good Day
IB - I'm Back
IC - I See
IDK - I Don't Know
IDTS - I Don't Think So
JK - Just Kidding
L8R - Later (an early one, kind of outdated with current 'young geeks')
LOL - Laughing Out Loud
LTNS - Long Time No See
LYL - Love You Lots
NE1 - Anyone
OBTW - Oh, By The Way.
OMG - Oh My Gosh
P911 - My parents are in the room.
PITA - Pain In The Ass
PLZ - Please
PPL - People
QT - Cutie (In my generation this was Quality Time)
ROTFLMFAO - Rolling On The Floor Laughing F(***ing) My Ass Off (Can things REALLY be this funny)
RU - aRe yoU?
SYL - See You Later
TC - Take Care
THX - Thanks!
TMI - Too Much Info

TTFN - Ta-Ta For Now (I know this from Winnie the Pooh!!!!)
TTYL - Talk To You Later
TYVM - Thank You Very Much
WTG - Way To Go
WTF - What The F**K



Seriously - WTF! This is ALL way too much for me! I will stick with my handful of slang words for text messaging, but otherwise I think maybe I am ok with feeling a little old!!!

TTYL!!!!

*My attempt to use these things....yeah, I don't like it so much!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you 100 %. I didn't understand half of that. Kids these days!

    A clue that I'm getting old...a few weeks ago I was excited about my new socks. I couldn't wait for the next day so I could wear them. How sad is that? Welcome to adulthood. Complaining about the younger generation and excited about socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that "BMA" was my favorite.

    And, W.K., it's not that we're getting old... we're just changing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Did you ever think that these people are going to be running our country one day, too? Can you imagine watching the State of the Union and hearing the president say, 'OMG' or 'TYVM'." Oh geez.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My bro, who teaches some English courses at a community college in CA, says that students are now using some of that slang in their papers! Can you imagine?!

    I'm so not into texting. I'd rather call someone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:23 PM

    I don't understand half of this stuff either and had to read this one twice. The "MY" is missing -
    F(***ing) My Ass Off...can that be done??? Probably didn't need to go there, but I did.

    ROTFLMFAO - Rolling On The Floor Laughing F(***ing) My Ass Off

    ReplyDelete