Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Recipe of the Day!


The second part of my Irish, St. Patrick’s Day feast (to go with my Brisket and Cabbage recipe) is a quick Irish Soda Bread. (It will also allow me to use my new Kitchen aid stand mixer!!) I have never had this but I am guessing it is a rich/dense bread! I love bread so I can’t imagine it being bad!

Soda bread is a type of quick bread in which yeast has been substituted with baking soda. The ingredients of traditional soda bread are flour, baking soda, salt, and buttermilk. Other ingredients can be added such as raisins or various forms of nuts.

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Ready in: 1 hour 5 minutes
Yields: 20 servings

Ingredients:

- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- ¼ butter, melted
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- (You can also add currants, nuts or raisins)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.

2. In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and margarine. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. Form dough into a roundish “ball” and place on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine melted butter with a ¼ cup buttermilk. Brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an “X” into the top of the loaf.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 45 – 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. You may continue to brush loaf with the butter mixture while it bakes.

1 comment:

  1. That recipe sounds really do-able.

    Yum!

    (I have no mixer here, but I'm sure it's doable for those that HAVE mixers. Especially KITCHEN AID MIXERS, W.K.!!!)

    ReplyDelete