So I am sitting at home waiting for everyone else to come home so we can finally eat the amazing smelling Pot Roast that has been cooking in the crock-pot all day. If that wasn’t torture enough, I am also watching the food network…..which I do a lot when I am hungry. Weirdo.
While watching the food network I watched something I had to blog about. Well we all know Paula Deen doesn’t really cook "healthy food" and more so cooks food that the fat & unhealthy person in all of us really loves to eat. Which is a good thing, because we all need to splurge on occasion. However, every now and then she cooks something so crazy that even that fat person in all of us becomes health conscious and thinks “Really?! I don't think I would eat that. I mean it is just not right”. I witnessed one of those recipes moments ago.
The episode is all about bananas. Really?! Bananas you say? How does Paula make bananas ridiculous?
Let me tell you.
- She greases both a casserole pan and 12 slices of white bread with what appears to be a vat of butter
- Lays 6 slices of butter bread on the bottom of the casserole dish
- Layers 8 thinly sliced pieces of lunchmeat ham over the bread
- Layers 4 thinly sliced bananas on top of the ham
- Adds the other 6 pieces of buttered white bread
- Over the entire casserole she sprinkles 2 cups cheddar cheese, 2 cups crushed potato chips, and 6 slices cooked and chopped bacon
- THEN she whisks together 4 eggs, 1 cup milk, & 1 cup cream into a custard and pours that over everything and bakes it for 45 minutes.
(I will let you digest that)
I mean come on, REALLY?! Really Paula, you would eat that? Oh wait, you just did. I mean seriously, did you just give up and let your 3 year old nephew pick items he wanted to eat? Or is it really just that hard for you to find ways to incorporate fruit into your recipes other than when it is fried or in a pie?
Now I give people the benefit of the doubt with interesting combinations of food because I, myself, like to put very odd combinations of food together (I do love a pickle, cheese, mayo and chip sandwich once every year or so) but REALLY this just sounds gross? I am fairly certain that even someone who is stoned would see this dish and say no thanks and just eat some stale saltines and chocolate syrup.
Come on Paula. Stick to the delicious fat foods we all love and keep your fruits fried up or in pies only.