Thursday, June 16, 2011

Talk to Me – It Must Be Jelly, Cause Jam Don’t Shake Like That....



So last year I bought all the stuff to start canning (the water bath method).  My MIL knows how to do it and I was going to have an afternoon with her and learn how to do it.  I wanted to can strawberry jam because the strawberries we get at this local farm near BG taste like CANDY!  I also wanted to try a few other fruits, as well as pasta sauce, salsa and even pickles.

However, we never got around to it last year and even this year it is looking like our available weekends are far and few between and we may not get around to it this year.  It is a bummer, because I really want to learn the process of canning.  I feel like it is a tradition that has become lost.

Because I may actually not get to canning in mass quantities this year either, I thought I would at least attempt to make a couple jars of my own strawberry and raspberry jam .  However, I would like to use a recipe that others have tried and they know works.

So has anyone ever made homemade strawberry and/or raspberry jam and have a good recipe for it?  I don’t want freezer jam….I would like a traditional jam. 

Also, has anyone ever done canning before?  Thoughts on canning?  Is it easy?  What method do you use for canning (water bath or pressure cooker)?

2 comments:

  1. I am virtually no help in this arena. However, my Mom cans a TON. I didn't even know there were various "methods". I'm impressed that you do.

    Can't wait to hear how this goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't help you. I made freezer jam this year, but I'm not brave enough to try 'real' canning. My mom did it and it looked like way too much work for me.

    ReplyDelete