Thursday, June 17, 2010

Talk To Me – Basil


Here is my basil plant a couple weeks ago….it has at least DOUBLED since I took this picture and it is just going crazy. (Glad to see someone is enjoying this hot/rainy weather) Now I loves me some basil. I try to use it in many of our dishes. And give me some tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, balsamic vinegar and olive oil and I am oh so happy and could eat it every day. I make a great bruschetta with those ingredients and also make some good pasta dishes with basil. But I must say that I have SO MUCH basil growing FAST that I am having trouble keeping up with it in the cooking department and coming up with new ideas for my basil.



So I ask; what are some of your favorite recipes with basil?!


Also, does anyone have a pesto recipe they love?! I am looking for a great recipe but I do not do pine nuts or walnuts. I have tried a couple different recipes but they seem to be either too oily or way to strong. I just need to know a good combination of ingredients!


P.S. I am not kidding when I say that I could eat a caprese salad EVERY DAY and not get tired of it. Sooooooo good.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:35 AM

    Some random thoughts -

    You can fry basil and put it on top of pastas or salads etc. Just throw it in oil until it gets crispy.

    You could also use almonds in pesto instead of pine nuts or walnuts.

    Panzella salad is a good use for basil - just toss cucs, bread cubes, tomatoes, mozz or parm with basil and a little salt and olive oil. Good alternative to caprese.

    It is Sarah H. by the way - A pressured me to comment despite my no blogging rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no help in the recipe department but I did have a question - can you jar up the basil to use it later as a spice? Would you have to dry it out? I don't even know but I'm curious!

    I can't get over how pretty that basil is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also going to suggest drying and saving for later use. Like during the winter when your basil plant will likely be very sad. :(

    I have developed a massive (read: projectile vomiting -- how's that for a visual) allergy to basil, so I'm absolutely no help with recipes. I am, however, envious that you get to eat basil pesto in massive quantities. I love me some pesto!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your last post inspired me to make some thai dishes and I looked up a recipe for Spicy Basil Chicken on and it was amazing - and freakin spicy! Seriously, try this, it was so flippin good (I would use less oil to make it healthier and I used white meat ground chicken- super good).

    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/SPICY-BASIL-CHICKEN-GAI-GA-PRAO-1272253


    For pesto, I just throw basil in a food processor, add olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic cloves and fresh Parmesan cheese (grated from the block is the ONLY way to go). Add a squeeze of lime for a twist. VOILA!

    ReplyDelete