Monday, July 08, 2013

Let’s Talk Feta – Recipes

I love feta.  LOVE. IT.

It is just the perfect amount of salt and tang and can be added to so many things!

I have a couple recipes that I use feta in that I feel needed to be shared.



The first is:

Turkey Meatloaf with Feta and Sun-dried Tomatoes.

I love this recipe and it is a go to meal in our house.  It takes about 5 minutes to prep and then you just put in the oven and go.  I made it last night with some bagged mashed potatoes and canned corn and peas.  I mean really, could dinner get any easier and more delicious?! 

Infact, Henry LOVES this meatloaf.  Yep, my kid may loathe mashed potatoes but will eat meatloaf with sun-dried tomato pesto and feta. Even though a bit strange, I won’t complain!

It is from Giada.  The original recipe is HERE.
I originally posted on our Food From Friends blog HERE. (whatever happened to that blog?!?!)

I have modified it again slightly from when I originally posted it.  Also, I prefer the sun-dried tomato pesto over sun-dried tomatoes, but if you like that chewy tang from sun-dried tomatoes feel free to use them but I suggest using the pesto also as it adds so much flavor!

Ingredients - My adjustments to the recipe.

Vegetable cooking spray
3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup (or half a jar) Classico ® Sundried tomato pesto.
2 cloves garlic, minced, optional
1 egg, at room temperature, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons milk
4 oz crumbled feta cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pounds ground turkey

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Spray a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, sun-dried tomato pesto, garlic, egg, milk, feta, salt, and pepper. Add the turkey and gently stir to combine.

Carefully pack the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, about 45 – 55 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before cutting.


This is Henry enjoying his second plate of this meatloaf! 
Please note that I put the spoon in his mashed potatoes and he did not even acknowledging the existence of them :)




Mini Spinach and Feta Frittatas

I found these on Pinterest and tried them for a brunch this past weekend.  They were delicious!  I actually did a test batch earlier in the week and refrigerated them and took a couple in for breakfast in the morning.  30 seconds in the microwave straight out of the fridge and they reheat perfectly and are an awesome and healthy breakfast!


Original Recipe HERE.  I modify it slightly below.

Ingredients - Modified:
4 eggs
4 egg whites
1 Roasted red bell pepper (either from jar or roasted yourself*), chopped
1 ½ cups frozen spinach (steamed in microwave for a few minutes with a little water until completely thawed.  Let drain and cool completely.  Before I put in the frittata I squeeze out excess water.)
1 cup feta, crumbled
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
Cooking spray

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F.  Coat one 12-hole muffin pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, beat eggs, egg whites, salt and pepper until blended. Stir in spinach, feta, and roasted peppers; mix well.
Spoon about 1/4-cup egg mixture into each prepared muffin hole.
Bake until just set, about 18 to 22 minutes. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen edges of frittatas with a rubber spatula, sliding spatula underneath frittatas to loosen bottoms and lift frittatas out of pans; serve.

*Roasted Red Pepper – Place pepper directly in grate of gas stove, turning until all sides are charred.  Place in bowl and cover with plastic wrap for about 10 minutes and then peel off the skin and chop.


Orzo Salad

There is no real recipe for this as it was originally created a few years ago because I wanted a summer pasta salad that wasn’t the normal Italian pasta salad.

Originally I made this recipe as a caprese orzo salad.  Cooked orzo with chunks of fresh mozzarella, basil, tomatoes, olive oil and balsamic. I LOVE this pasta salad and still make it regularly. 

Then to change it up and for a different flavor we started adding feta and removing the mozzarella.  Then I had my mom’s version over vacation and she added a few more items and it was awesome!  Now almost a greek salad.  Really, you can add whatever!

Ingredients

1- box cooked Orzo in salted water – drained & cooled
1- Pint cherry tomatoes (lightly season them with salt and pepper) – halved
2 – 4oz Containers Feta - crumbled
1 – Container Black Olives – halved
1 - Large bunch of basil - chopped
Olive Oil to taste
(You could add red onion too – but I don’t like it)

Now, here is where it gets really good.  My mom has infused garlic olive oil and infused basil olive oil. 

Um, I know…DELICIOUS! 

So I just drizzled both on there to make sure evenly coated and until I liked the flavor.  I wish I could give an exact measurement, but it really depends on your taste and how you like it.  If you don’t have either, just a good olive oil will work and still taste great.  But if you can get your hands on either the garlic or basil olive oils….or both, then DO IT.  You will not be disappointed!

This salad can be served at room temperature.



Ok, those are my current three favorite feta recipes….enjoy!

Do you have any current favorite recipes?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment