Friday, November 30, 2012

A Good Reminder During The Holidays


If you haven't read this story, read it HERE.  Basically, a police officer in New York saw a homeless man sitting outside on a very cold night without shoes and went in to a local shoe store and bought him a nice pair of boots with his own money.  The only reason there is a photo is because a tourist just happened to be out and noticed it and took a picture.  He wasn't doing this for attention, he was doing it out of pure generosity.

I think it is easy this time of year to get caught up in the holidays, the commitments, the running around, doing the things we think we need to do, and losing site of the magnitude and importance of this time of year.

It isn't about giving or getting the biggest, newest or most expensive gift.  It is about reflection, compassion, LOVE, joy, and family & friends. (to name a few things)

Whether or not you believe in the religious aspect of Christmas isn't what is important, it doesn't matter what you believe....but all those things above should still ring true.

If having a child has done anything for me (and it has already done so much) it has made me STOP.

Stop and embrace the little things, the things that he finds so enjoyable and that I have managed to overlook for years.

Stop and think of how would I want HIM to act towards others.  Would I want him to be mean and yell at others or learn to forgive and BE a good person to others.

Stop and relax and enjoy the time we have together and not worry whether or not everything is "perfect".

Stop and help those that need help, whether it is giving someone with no shoes a pair of boots or holding the door open for someone with their hands full. 

Stop and reflect on what this time of year means to you.

I know personally I am going to try really hard to make sure I remember this, not only during the holiday season, but ALL year round. I will admit, it is not always easy.  But whether it is holding the door open for a stranger, offering a kind smile to someone who looks down, helping those less fortunate than yourself, being KIND even when others forget to do so, not rushing all around and losing site of the holidays and overall embracing this time of year and stopping to really enjoy those MOMENTS and the people that I love the most in my life and doing whatever I can to be a better person to those around me..... yes, that is how I want to be.  That is what I want to teach.  



"And there were in the same country shepherds, abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them! And they were sore afraid ... And the angel said unto them, "Fear not! For, behold, I bring you tidings o great joy, which shall be to all my people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ, the Lord."

"And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger." And suddenly, there was with the angel a multitude of the Heavenly Host praising God, and saying, "Glory to God in the Highest, and on Earth peace, and good will toward men."

1 comment:

  1. This is a fabulous post. FABULOUS!

    "It isn't about giving or getting the biggest, newest or most expensive gift. It is about reflection, compassion, LOVE, joy, and family & friends. (to name a few things)"

    So true, isn't it. I, too, am trying (often unsuccessfully) to try to remember this. I like what you said--ALL year round. Thank you for writing this.

    And thank you for your comments, lately. I enjoy your words every time and feel like we're sitting and having a conversation. :) Oh, and, I'd love to take pictures for you--I'd love to set something up.

    ReplyDelete