Friday, November 17, 2006

Public Service Announcement For All Car Owners:

I am very sad to report the loss of an important “friend” of mine – the turn signal! I rely so much on the turn signal and I wish car makers would re-install and/or stop removing turn signals from cars! It seems like more and more cars (old and new) do not have turn signals, or so I would assume since I never see them getting used by people. It is sad because I really like my turn signal and find it very helpful when communicating with other drivers on the road. It helps me tell them where I plan on going and I use it to see where they want to go, but now I am just all confused with the elimination of the great turn signal. I don’t know how, when or why turn signals became obsolete on most cars out there – but they have and I don’t like it! And the thing is, we have no way of telling which cars do and do not have their turn signals. A lot of times it seems like hugely oversized trucks and SUV’s come with out it, as well as, small cars with overly big spoilers on the back. But I can’t 100% rely on that observation alone.

Luckily, my wonderful Honda comes with a great turn signal. It has a nice sound, doesn’t take up much space, is conveniently located on the left hand side of my steering wheel – it is great!! All I have to do is extend one (or two) fingers out while I still hold on to the wheel and push my fingers either up or down depending on the direction of which I am turning! AND, I don’t even have to do anything after I turn – it turns off automatically! It is great!

So I ask all of you if you know of people who do not have turn signals in their cars, please ask them to get them re-installed! And make sure to only buy cars that come equipped with this wonderfully overlooked car item! It isn’t about the CD player, the DVD player, or the GPS system – it is all about my friend the turn signal (the greatest invention EVER!!).

Thank you for your time

4 comments:

  1. This is, quite simply, a beautiful piece of writing JH...and I couldn't agree with you more.

    While buying my new toy a few months ago, I made sure that it had one handy-dandy, very important, turn signal installed...I didn't even have to pay extra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:44 PM

    What a great post! J and I often say when driving around that it's too bad more people didn't pay for the turn signal option on their vehicle.

    The other thing that drives me crazy is when people get in the left turn lane and then signal. I believe I learned in drivers ed that turn signals are for signaling your intention. By the time you get in the left turn lane we already pretty much have it figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA!

    All I have to say is, DRIVE IN MEXICO. As far as they're concerned, there are absolutely no turn signals in ALL of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. agreed.......i know that is is ultra difficult to simply move one's left hand 3 inches and turn the signal into "on" mode...but definitely one of my pet peeves!!

    ReplyDelete