Wednesday, July 26, 2006

My BFF


Today as we shared a better than anticipated lunch with our co-workers to celebrate Kylee’s exit from our employer, the topic of conversation turned to the DVR. The DVR or Digital Video Recorder is a wonderful invention that I do not believe I could live without. Ok, semi-dramatic, I am sure I could live without it – but I choose not too. I LOVE my DVR.

Definition as stated in Wikipedia Encyclopedia
A digital video recorder (DVR) (or personal video recorder (PVR)) is a device that records video without videotape to a hard drive-based digital storage medium. The term includes stand-alone set-top boxes and software for personal computers which enables video capture and playback to and from disk.

Here are my top ten reasons why I love my DVR. I know there are many, many more but I had to simplify!

10. You never have to miss your favorite shows
9. Don’t have to worry about video tapes, timers and/or programming your VCR
8. You can record shows when you are not home or not awake - ALL day long
7. You have an option to series record. This being, you can program to automatically record your favorite shows and it will record that series until you tell it to stop!
6. DVR will store all your favorite shows in her memory
5. You can watch your shows when you want to watch them
4. It allows you to pause/control live TV
3. You can set reminders for your favorite TV shows so you will not miss them
2. Watch one show while recording another
1. THE BEST REASON: You will never have to sit through commercials again!!!!!

Now I am aware that DVR may not be for everyone and that’s cool. I am not pressuring anyone to get the DVR (or cousin TIVO). But it works for my life and I absolutely love everything about it – well except when it breaks down and looses all your shows (but it has only happened once in two years).

What do you think?
What are your feelings on DVR/TIVO if you have one or if you don’t have one?

5 comments:

  1. We have DVR, and just like you, LOVE IT! We've really only had it since december, but have used it enough to definitely enjoy the benefit of it. I think the best part is that you don't have to worry about accidentally taping over something you really, really wanted to keep...blah blah. And it's super easy! Way easier that fiddling with tapes and all that junk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had some experience with the dvr and I must say that it has been pleasant. It definitely is great for catching those shows that you just can't miss. On your own schedule.

    However, I for one, would miss commercials if I used this all the time. There are some really great and clever commercials out there and I enjoying watching them and commenting on them.

    But I'd say overall, this dvr thing is a wonderful invention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. J-money,

    While we have not met in real life yet, I hope you can forgive me for what I am about to say:

    You are committing an IP Attorney worst nightmare. Misuse of trademark. TiVo is a trademark, an adjective. It is a TiVo brand DVR. Not a TiVo. Just like it is Kleenex brand facial tissue. A Band-aid brand sterile strip. A Velco brand hook-and-loop tape. Never, EVER use a trademark as a noun (for the thing itself). Accordingly, a TiVo brand DVR is not a cousin of the DVR, it IS a DVR. Cease and desist or I may have to seek you out and subject you to some sweet chin music.

    Uno Momento, I must dismount my soapbox....

    Ok, good. Now that we have that cleared up: DVR is fanfuckingtastic.

    This has been your semi-friendly public service announcement,

    MD

    ReplyDelete
  4. MD, Hello and welcome!!

    I have to send to you my deepest apologies as I truly thought these were different things. My friend has what she refers to as TiVO and it looks completly different from my "DVR". So therefore I thought they were different companies. I do not like being uneducated before posting a blog, so I am sorry :-)

    I have to also say that I LOVE your "sweet chin music" comment. I do not want to have this happen to me so I will try to never make this mistake again!

    (P.S. can you get your leg that high????) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I get my leg that high? Puh-lease.

    Ask your co-worker about my flexibility.

    I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete