Friday, February 20, 2015

Recipe of the Week – Stuffed Pepper Soup

I must say, this may be my favorite soup right now.   With cold weather here, a warm and comforting soup is exactly what I crave.

And this soup doesn’t disappoint.

I found this on one of my favorite new food sites, Skinnytaste – HERE.



This fits into all my healthy food criteria.  It is easy to make, budget friendly, healthy, tastes great, and I could go back for seconds without feeling guilty!! Winning all around.

About 1 ½ - 1 1/3 cups of soup with ½ cup of rice is about 261 – 275 calories. (My recipe in my fitness pal calculated slightly higher than the recipe on the website.)


Stuffed Pepper Soup

Servings: 6 • Size: about 1 1/2 cups soup, 1/2 cup rice • Old Points: 5 • Points+: 7 pts
Calories: 261 • Fat: 5 g • Carb: 37.5 g • Fiber: 5 g • Protein: 17.6 g • Sugar: 6 g
Sodium: 606 g  (without salt)


Ingredients:
3 cups cooked brown rice (omit for paleo diet)
1 lb 95% lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper (I use 1 whole pepper)
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (I use 1 whole pepper)
1 cup finely diced onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cans (14.5 oz each) cans petite diced tomatoes (i used oregano, basil garlic ones)
1 3/4 cups tomato sauce
2 cups reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
salt and fresh pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large pot or dutch oven, brown ground meat on high heat and season with salt. Drain fat if any, reduce heat to medium-low, then add peppers, onions and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes on low heat.

Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, marjoram and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Serve about 1 1/3 cups of soup in each bowl and top with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice.

Makes about 9 1/2 cups.


Seriously.  SO EASY.  For lunch I will even omit the rice and add an extra half a cup of soup and it is still around 200 calories!!

Some notes from when I make it:

I add more peppers than what it calls for.  I add one whole green and one whole red pepper. 

I used lean ground turkey instead of beef.

I added petite diced tomatoes with garlic, basil and oregano in it for added flavor.

I also didn’t add the dried marjoram because, well I don’t own any.

Some Sriracha in your soup for an extra kick is AWESOME!!  I didn’t add to the whole thing, just my individual bowls of soup.

I will say that for me, this makes a lot…but I am the only one eating it.  But if you are feeding a family AND want leftovers, perhaps half or double it.

And if your family isn’t counting their calories, you may want more rice.

Seriously, I am making it this weekend for lunch and for lunches for the next week.  It really has turned into my “go to” soup of choice.

If you try it let me know what you think!!  Did you change anything?!


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I am absolutely making this. It sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete