Friday, December 29, 2006

Not So Much.......




So yesterday I decided that i needed a trim and since I had some spare time I thought it would be great to go run and get my hair cut. I went and said I wanted an inch or so cut off - to get rid of the dead ends and give myself a little shape. Easy enough - so I thought. But as the hair cut continued I noticed my head becoming lighter - a little too light. (she started on the back and my head was facing down so I couldn't see what she was doing) As I looked up it appeared as though the back was cut a little too short - for one reason I could barely feel hair touching my neck! WTF did she do??? Hasn't she heard of taking it slow....a little bit at a time! Rule one of hair cutting, you can always take more off but you can NEVER add it!! By this point it was a little too late to change what she was doing but the expression on my face and the response to her question is this too short - "um....it is different" was enough for her to realize she was not doing what I asked. UGH!!!

Yes I wanted it slightly shorter - but where she was going with this was horrible. I just sat there in the chair while she finished, not knowing what to say or how to feel. Just watching chunks of my hair fall to the ground while my stomach turned. I mean I have done many many things to my hair: cut my own horrible bangs, cut my own hair, colored it so it was orange and colored it so it was very black. But none bothered me as much as this. See, I can't hide this - I can barely pull it back into a pony-tail er.......pony-nub!

See I am very self conscious and have low self-esteem so my hair is a great thing for me to hide behind. I feel like I don't get noticed when my hair is longer and in my face. Even when it is pulled back (which is almost all the time) I feel better b/c I am plain and can't just blend in with the crowd. But with this hair mutilation I can't hide behind anything - I am out there for the world to see (and to see with a bad hair cut nonetheless)!!!!

I have been playing around with it and I am going for the Sarah Jessica Parker, Sex in the City Season 5 hair style, the short curly look. Of course I don't look cute like her (I am about as cute as a shaved cat) but that is the look I am so desperately trying to convince myself that I look like when I leave our house! She didn't even make it one length, she gave me these shorter layers that do nothing for my face! UGH again...just annoyed.

So did I do anything about it - no, I paid her and left unhappy. My own fault for not saying anything and my own fault going where I did - but what are they going to do, what's done is done. So hopefully it will grow back quickly over the next month to a length that is manageable....but until then I am going to be inside alot!

4 comments:

  1. Oh J! What a horrible experience! (I had one of those experiences back in about 11th grade... asked her to cut to my shoulders and she went straight up to my ears!!! It's an awful feeling...)

    Your SJP inspired look sounds really cute though:) And, I must point out, that you have an absolute gorgeous face and shouldn't be hiding it in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hair, having seen it first hand, is fabulous!

    I can sympathize with the situation, but I have to tell you that it looks great! It's a nice change, and you can pull it off. Really, J, you can. You'll get used to it in a couple weeks.

    Sidenote to all that know J, since she won't say this herself: It frames her face very nicely and the curls are totally cute! It's a really nice cut. Plus, her new makeup additions, coupled with the SJP look, are marvelous! She looks great!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA, well thank you! I am not fishing for comments, but it is nice to hear it isn't 100% horrible...maybe just 63% horrible.

    I think it was more shock than anything, the feeling of what the hell just happened. It will definatly take some adjusting and a little more confidence....but maybe it is something I need! I guess it is a new year so I will give it a try....and yes in a couple weeks it may be a little longer which will make me ALOT happier!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, I'll take M's word for it...but i really sympathize with the bad haircut thing. it's a horrible thing for a woman to experience. i will hope that your hair grow's at a fast pace!! and until then....embrace the new look!

    ReplyDelete