Thursday, October 12, 2006

A Used Wedding Dress and no Where to Go!

So we are trying to figure out how to clean and preserve my wedding dress. We got the few rips I managed to put in my dress fixed by my Nana (thank you Nana) and now we are trying to figure out how we should store it. The couple of dry cleaners we talked to charge an arm and a leg and are afraid that the beading may melt if we dry clean it. The fabric on top is also very delicate so we think the dry cleaning aspect is out! We called David's Bridal, where I got the dress, and they said for $130 they do something that will preserve the dress. That sounds like it could work but I wanted to see if anyone has ....
A) tried going through David's, has good or bad feedback, and knows exactly what they do or
B) knows of another way to get this dress cleaned and preserved!

Any suggestions would be MOST appreciated!!

5 comments:

  1. Ummm...I'll take the advice too...I've yet to do this!

    and, oh my gosh, it's been nearly 1 year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll be 3 years in a about 2 weeks and I still haven't cleaned mine...

    I just didn't want to.
    Wanted to leave it as it was...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:46 AM

    I think it was a little over two years before I did anything with mine. My mother in-law was getting my sister in-law's preserved and decided she would do mine too. Sweet, I didn't have to pay for it! She had a friend that owns a rather large chain of cleaners that preserved them. It's in a decent size box in the top of my closet. The prices you mentioned were about what I had been quoted too. Maybe the three of you could go somewhere together and get a better rate because your bringing three dresses. Probably not but just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems to be reputable. May be a place around here. FAQ section looks helpful. Or call them.

    http://www.gownpreservation.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. MD - thank you for your very helpful suggestion! I am impressed! LOL! I will definatly check out the website :-)

    Lindsay - I love that discount idea!!! And how awesome that your mother-in-law took care of yours, very nice!

    I will let you all know where I go!!

    ReplyDelete