Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Kill Them with Kindness

So I am having a few issues at work. These issues are not my fault, however because I am in charge of the event I hear about them and have to fix them. You can tell the people are frustrated and are looking to vent and I get to be the direction of the vent.

So this led me to think about one of my "work motto's" I have always said – especially in my line of work, you just have to kill them with kindness. I try to fix their problem very fast and be OVERLY kind to them just under the point of appearing fake & obnoxious (even though in my head I am thinking not so nice thoughts). In turn they HAVE to be nice to me and back down with their attitude. It makes me chuckle when it reaches the point they are consoling me or apologizing to me. When that happens I feel that I have done my job REALLY well because I have gotten what I want – a little piece of retribution! I know that can be mean, but so can other people and it is nice to get compensated by the people who feel it is necessary to always act like assholes.

I know we have all heard this before “kill them with kindness”, it is nothing new – it is just very relevant to me on this particular day. FYI - we do have to be prepared that sometimes this can backfire if the person truly is a big asshole – in which case it is ok to be an asshole back if ALL other means of politeness have been trumped. But more times than not you can not fail by being the better, friendlier person!

Side Note: The people today were just frustrated, not assholes. But in what I do I deal with them on a regular basis triggering this blog!

1 comment:

  1. Killing with kindness isn't easy. GO. You can do it.

    Currently my mantra is: "It doesn't matter if you like me. Just get.the.job.done."

    :-)

    ReplyDelete