Friday, October 27, 2006

Building Obstacles NOT bridges?

Ok, I usually don’t talk politics because it will just get me in trouble and very angry – and we don’t want an angry blogger! I am open to many political views whether they are “democratic” or “republican” even though I think that both parties have gone too far and are both just ridiculous anymore. But for this “genius” idea of Bush I don’t think you need to be either party to question it.

Bush signed the bill yesterday for the US-Mexico border fencing. We all knew this was coming but it still frustrates me none the same. Click here for article. I just don’t get this, I mean I really don’t get it.


Some Questions/Concerns - 700 out of the 2100 (I think) will be covered by this fence thing. What are you going to do with the rest of the border? Can people just go farther down and get around these? Are they going to have people there to monitor the borders? Do we really think $1.2 billion is best used building a fence? I know they say they could use lighting/video cameras/ect from homeland security – but what is this going to do to help? How tall are these fences, can people cut them? How is this benefiting us? What about the water/ocean – how are you monitoring that? They say that a work type program will be implemented – but I will believe it when I see it AND it actually works! (I could keep going) There are just SO SO SO many questions/concerns I have about logistically putting this into place and how it will be managed.


Personal Opinion: Besides the fact I think this is ABSOLUTELY STUPID and will not work I think it is doing more harm than good. First, this is only going to slow people down, not stop them from crossing the border – if they really want to get here they will continue to try. These “walls” don’t stop anyone. Second, I don’t think this is benefiting/helping our relationship with Mexico. I found this quote and I agree 100% "We are supposed to be neighbors and friends, and instead of building bridges and doors, we're building obstacles." I am concerned about what this could do with our current and future relationship with MX. Third, how is this SOLVING the problem of immigration? Putting up a “fence” is doing nothing to actually help and improve the immigration system. Shouldn’t we be spending our money to help educate those who do want to enter our country to make a better life for themselves and their family?? I am all for getting people in our country who actually WANT to work instead of the lazy SOB’s we currently have who just feed off the unemployment and welfare. Obviously I am not talking about the people who actually NEED these programs but rather the assholes who will milk the program and spend OUR money while popping out kids so they can continue using our money instead of actually trying to become educated or get a job. Bring in the Mexicans who want to work for a living, educate them and work on ways to improve the system is what I am for. And finally, did you know that between 2001 and 2006, almost 2,000 migrants died while trying to sneak into the United States, according to El Colegio de la Frontera Norte. I just wish we could get someone in the White House who actually wants to do good. I know there are politicians who do good, but unfortunately they never make it very far because anymore doing good doesn’t have a pull in the political game. UGH – I need to stop, I am turning into the angry blogger!

Anyway – leave comments or not, I really just needed to vent. If you can help me understand the point then more power to you!

2 comments:

  1. I admit I am not too terribly educated on this subject, but I do see some "good" in this.

    a) I know I have seen the numbers but do not recall them. For the 1.2 billy we spend, we will save 3 or 4 times that in taxes for supporting illegal immigrants (healthcare, taxes, etc.).

    b.1) Sure it's only 700 of 2100 miles, but I am sure they aren't 700 random miles. I am sure it's strategic, around cities and towns and plush lands rather than places "impossible" to cross. 2100 would be ideal, but, accordingly, that would cost 3.6 billy.

    b.2) Security. It's a different world. I like the idea of my borders being slightly more protected. Your friend today could be your enemy tomorrow. Remember who stocked and financed the Taliban? We did. To fight the "evil" Russians.

    c) I for one am tired of paying for people illegally entering our country. Most don't learn the language, ever try to, nor want to. Our taxes go up covering their expenses. Want to enter legally and get put on the books? PLEASE DO.

    d) It chaps my ass that there are entire schools going bi-lingual or altogether Spanish speaking. I want and hope my kids are fluant in more than one language, but not at the expense of ENGLISH. OUR language. Again, you want to come here and take advantage of our freedom? By God here's the door, but you better be ready to hold dear to you hearts some of things we hold true and were founded on: English, taxes, and freedom. (ha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not educated on this very well either - I try to read up on as much as I can before I form an opinion but sometimes that doesn't help.

    As for c & d I totally agree with you on that! My friend works at a school in FL and she has to work around the students who do not speak fluent english and she feels she shouldn't have to learn the language to do her current job. I agree 100% that if we have individuals from other countries in ours they should speak the language. But I guess along with that my question is what are we doing to help educate those who DO want to become citizens. What effective programs do we have in place currently to make a transistion? I guess I feel ok with people wanting to come over here to make a "better life" for themselves if they follow the rules we have in place AND there are effective means of which to get people over here and educate them (I mean we are all from immigrants - except those who are part indian)!! I just don't think our current policies on helping individuals make the transition to citizens is as good as it could be.

    As for a) I guess I will believe it when I see it. I NEVER believe when people say "this will save taxes or save money". I just don't buy it and can not in my head make the connection of how they got that number of putting up X feet of fence will save tax payers X amount of money. To me it seems like the government throws numbers like that out there all the time to justify what they do. Sometimes it works; alot of times it is a crock of shit! So to me, even though it is a very valid point you make, I can't use that one for me personally.

    As for b 1 & 2, I knew it was going to be more strategic fencing and wouldn't all be fence - using cameras and stuff as well. And I like the idea of security, but I don't know - maybe if a certain current government wouldn't have had made enemies with almost the entire world (slight exagertaion inserted to make point) I wouldn't begin to feel like a prisioner in our own country. It hasn't gotten that way yet - but it is starting to feel like that is where we are heading. And PLEASE don't get me wrong - I LOVE the idea of keeping us secure and protecting us, that is the governments job! But I guess I just want to make sure we are handling it in a more positive - yet firm way and not creating more enemies in the process! Maybe we won't, but I just have that fear.

    (can you tell I am liberal - LOL!! I want a Utopia! HAHAHA!)

    Thank you for your comments - I do love hearing other people's opinions!

    ReplyDelete