Thursday, December 07, 2006

Interesting Story...



Apparently two parents are being charged with kidnapping their 21 year old daughter the day before her wedding to prevent her from marrying a man they didn’t approve of. The situation happened in August and the girl testified yesterday. Apparently the, what seems like very religious parents, did not agree with the man she wanted to marry and the parents took their daughter and drove her away so she wouldn’t marry the guy. The wedding ended up going on without the parents and now the parents are being charged with kidnapping. Full Story.

So this whole story is a little weird to me. One part is I defiantly think the parents are wrong in the way they handled the situation but I don’t know if I agree that they should be charged with kidnapping! Who makes that decision….the daughter must of told police or something. It seems like the story doesn’t have a lot of details to it but it is an interesting situation and brings up a good topic.

How far would you go to stop your son/daughter from marrying someone you did not approve of? Or would you say anything to even a good friend or a brother/sister if you do not like the person they are going to marry?

When do you draw the line and let others live their own life? Now obviously age of the people marrying, abuse, criminal records, drugs, ect if involved in your scenario can change the answer. But what if you just don’t like the person, get a bad vibe, don’t like the way your daughter/son/friend is with this new person, they have different beliefs, I could keep going…but all played apart in WHY you didn’t think two people should wed. Would you say anything? If so, (as I said before) how far would you go to stop a marriage from taking place? And what about this, does the harder one push to stop a marriage push the two people closer together and separate you more?

I honestly don’t know what I would do. I hope as a parent I would be close enough to my kids that we could talk about it before it escalated to what was above. Which makes me wonder what words were said before between the parents and their daughter? Has this been a constant battle or did they keep it all in until the day before the wedding? Is it all the parents fault?

Any thoughts???

2 comments:

  1. Well, Mrs. H., my little sister is getting married this Friday and there is nothing anyone could EVER do to stop it.

    I would like to kidnap her, if I could. Or have him just disappear.

    I totally understand these parents' concern. However, I think the bottom line is that we cannot, cannot run other peoples' lives. Even if we feel they're making disasterous mistakes, it must be done.

    It is what it is.

    Everyone learns in their own way. Some people just take the long way around...

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I've never felt this way about a relative, I was (and still am) very strongly opposed to one of my friend's marriages.

    I've spoken my opinion to her many, many o' times over the past 2 or 3 years. They got married a few months ago. While all I want is for her to be happy, I truly believe she is selling herself short and that this guy is a complete idiot who has no respect for her or women in general.

    It's sad really, and I think this happens more than we know. I just hope (in my friends case) that everything works out for her. I hope that they are truly happy, but if she's not, I hope she has the courage to get out of it before they have kids or something.

    Nope, we cannot control anyone else's life. (heck, maybe she didn't want me to marry Ry? heehee!)

    ReplyDelete