Monday, November 20, 2006

Question of the Day - Holiday Edition!


(I get even more emotional/sentimental over the holidays than normal - if that is possible)


Blogging world - meet Lady

Lady was our families Golden Retriever Dog for nearly 13 years! Lady passed away last year in June. She was a great dog and being a little bias, I would say the best dog ever!!! (sorry other pet owners - you would say the same thing about yours!)

Lady loved the holidays (well she really loved everyday, can't you tell from the mardi gras pic above) but she ecspecially loved the holidays - her favorite day THANKSGIVING!!! The turkey (turkey was her favorite) and all the smells of food cooking all day long! I mean, how could it not be anyone's favorite holiday?!?! She would lay in the kitchen, right square in the middle of the floor eagerly awaiting morsels of food that would "fall" from the kitchen counters.

Last year was hard celebrating Thanksgiving without her not only because she was (and still is) part of the family, but also because of how much she loved the day! As we approach Thanksgiving this year I once again think of Lady. Anyone who has a pet in their life knows how close a bond you form with them. They DO become your family, know when to comfort you, have distinct characteristics, and become an important part of your life. We do miss her so very much and even though we are having Thanksgiving at our place this year I know we will still feel her presence with us as well as the presence of all those people in our lives who will be with us in spirit over the holidays!

However, with as much as we may miss Lady (or other members of our family) over the Holidays I find extreme comfort in the smells, laughter, music, food of the holidays. I think our senses are extremly powerful and we can recall certain moments, whether happy or sad, in our lives with just a familiar smell or sound. I think that is amazing and because I grew up in a close family that celebrated with food and music I know that I will always remember people/places/pets/moments in my life because they have that association with me!


So here is the Question of the day - Do you have any favorite memories about the holidays that tie to a certain person, smell, sound, food?

2 comments:

  1. absolutely! although there are many, my favorite is the smell of some of my mom's christmas tree ornaments...weird I know. Yes, she has a set of 3 cloth-like ornaments that smell...they have kept their smell for as long as I can remember, which I don't quite understand, but it's true.

    That is the smell of Christmas for me. mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. H.,
    Lady was a princess. Truly.

    My favorite Christmas memories?
    Gosh...

    Never wanting to go to sleep on Christmas Even
    Playing with my cousins on Christmas Day
    Piano-played Christmas carrols
    The list goes on and on...

    ReplyDelete