Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Oh No You Didn't!

So recently I was having a casual conversation with a co-worker. Said co-worker and I are very cordial to each other when we run into one another, however we are not on the “go out and get a drink after work” level.

So, it was a laid back Friday in the afternoon and I had to go over to her office and pick something up. While I was there we got to talk’n about kids (as there is a huge infestation of pregnant people on our campus lately). Since I do not have any kids of my own, nor do I plan on having any for a few years I kept most of my opinions inside. However, we got to talking about baby names and she (the co-worker) asked me what names I liked. Now, of course I have thought about names I like but I haven’t thought in depth about exact names nor have I really sat down and researched potential baby names. (I feel that is part of the excitement of actually being pregnant and will think about it more when the time comes with my husband) However, like I said, there have been some ideas I have had so I proceeded with answering the question.

Our conversation went as follows:

Me: “I don’t really know exactly but I want a nice strong name.”
Co-worker (CW): “Really, such as?”
Me: “Um, for a boy maybe like Christopher or Henry James or something along those lines”
CW: “Ugh” (insert face like she just smelled a huge pile of shit) “How simple and plain, I don’t like names like that!”
Me: (silence – confused/fake smile)
CW: “I want a name that is unique; you have to have a name that is unique”
Me: “Yeah, who knows? That is so far away from me right now – who knows what I will want in 4 years, but I do like stronger names”. (Thinking – you bitch!!)
CW: laughs “Yeah, strong but not boring!”
Me: awkward laugh


So yes folks my unborn, nah, un-conceived and even virtually un-thought of baby is getting his name dissed by a co-worker of mine!! WTF?!?!?! Who does that??? There have been PLENTY of baby names that I personally don’t like but when asked I smile and go with it – b/c it isn’t MY child!!! Granted if someone said they wanted a name like coconut I may ask if there is a special reason or meaning behind the name (and laugh about it to my husband) – but to make it sound like I picked the most horrible name ever is a little ridiculous! It isn’t like I said Spongebob, King Poops-a-lot, or Hitler the second – come on!! I mean, we are just work acquaintances AND you just don’t do that! This is why I will only tell close friends and family what the “baby’s” name is until after it is born. No one will say to a new mom that her new born babies name is stupid!!! LOL



P.S. – Henry & James are both my grandpa’s names so back off CW lady!!!

3 comments:

  1. WTF?!!!!! That's so rude! Who does that?!

    While Henry James and Christopher are very nice names, I'm quite fond of King Poopsalot. Very clever. Very unique. Hehehe...

    Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember Princess Consuela Bananahammock???

    That's on my list.

    Whatever lady. (she'll be the one to name her daughter Geniphur...a strong name, but spelled different, so she's "cool") sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Henry and James are strong and solid names and what a fitting and wonderful tribute to your grandfathers.

    As for the name lady - she's on crack.

    Really.

    (Sarah, I laughed out loud at your "Geniphur" comment. I cannot STAND how people butcher their children's names all in the "name (pun intended) of being "unique.")

    Note to self: Do not share names with others when choosing your baby's name...

    ReplyDelete